Wednesday, December 23, 2009

“The Royal Tenenbaums”

royal-tenenbaums-title-screenshot

This is one of my favorite movies. I have seen it countless times. I am not a big Gwenyth Paltrow fan but I LOVE her in this movie. The whole cast is perfect – Gene Hackman, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Gwenyth Paltrow, Anjelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Danny Glover, and Bill Murray.

Here’s the trailer -

Margot and Ritchie -

royal-tenenbaums

Richie -

royal-tenenbaums-luke%20wilsonsm

Royal, Chas, Uzi, Ari, and Margot -

royal_tenenbaums_the_2001_685x385

Eli Cash and friends – I love that “Rock the Casbah” was playing in the background of this scene. Perfection.

81pk1hh

Eli’s art – CRAZY!

the-royal-tenenbaums-art-01

I think it is funny how all of the characters have so much literal and figurative baggage. They all have a “look” that they carry with them throughout their lives. Margot sports the same haircut, eyeliner, barrette, and fur coat throughout the film. Chas has the red tracksuit and even passes that look on to his two kids (kind of like how we pass our emotional baggage on to our children). Richie holds on to the tennis clothes, headband, and sunglasses even though those days have long gone. Eli has the retro cowboy thing going on. It is telling. The whole movie is brilliant.

Check out Richie’s baggage in this clip…

And last -

One of my favorite scenes and songs in the movie. The song is by Elliott Smith. Richie finally loses his “look” and tries to lose his life.

And the award for BEST SUICIDE SCENE goes to ...

One more day until Christmas!

Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love this movie. It's dark, it's funny, it's dry and quirky. It is different and I can relate to it. Thanks for posting it. Heidi